I had a severe TBI on August 21, 2020. It was from a motorcycle accident and I wasn't wearing a helmet. I suffered a sub-arachnoid hemorrhage, subdural and epidural hematoma, and had a craniotomy. I was off work for about 15 months and then returned. After a few months back at work I was demoted from my lead position. Here it is 2-1/2 years post accident, and my neurologist just took me back off work until I have another neurocognitive assessment done, which isn't until August 17th. I have been struggling at work. I used to be a self-starter and on top of everything. Now, I need constant guidance, have trouble following conversation and my working memory isn't that great. I just recently assembled a chicken pen frame. When I read the reviews on the product most other people that commented mentioned that it took them 30-40 minutes to assemble the frame. It took me 2-1/2 hours. I am a maintenance mechanic and very mechanically inclined (or used to be).
I don't know what my future holds regarding employment. I am new to this online community and don't know how active these forums are.
1 person likes this.
Did you have your assessment done?
Be the first person to like this.
Kristi Bains
Hello Danny, my son is still struggling, 15 years later. A 4-wheeler accident at 17. I don’t have much advice except what tends to help my son lately is hope, reimagining his life. He was young, but very talented in writing, music and art. A lot of it came back after about 5 years, and was even better than before. He had another wreck at 27, cervical neck sprain….that changed everything to even worse.
He is now practicing a new art, tattooing. I think it’s good that it’s not something he ever tried before, but related to his past interests, because he can’t compare it to how well he did it before. I don’t know if it will ever come to actual income, but just spending time doing it and dreaming, envisioning the possibility has helped (with counseling). He rejected counseling until 6 months ago. It really is helpful. It can be very depressing. Glad you reached out.
I’m new here, wish I could have found a TBI only community right after 1st wreck. I think things would have went a little better with (easier accessible) support.
Best wishes!
1 person likes this.
Kristi Bains
I meant hello Tim.
Be the first person to like this.