Viewing Single Post
marty salo

Do you mind if I ask what happened to you?

I don't mind at all. A bike car collision near Norfolk Virginia. One of the first "Medivac" Helicopter transports to Norfolk General. I suppose that according to my parents, the Neurosurgeon stated that I'd be lucky to make it beyond a persistent vegetative state. That they might want to consider placing me into a "home." I was transferred out of Norfolk General to King's Daughter's Children's Rehab Hospital, then back home on Ocean View Avenue. I had a supportive catholic school infrastructure for a few years, and then moved back to Florida, then progressed through "standard" mainstream classes and such. I graduated High School with age group based peers, attended 2 year Community College, attended Florida State University.
Back in the early '80s, I got my first real computer, an apple IIc, with a 300 baud Modem, I was in love with the freedom that being able to communicate via asychronous methods represented--a chance to express ideas more fully through written english without people developing the glazed over look in their eyes, as they impatiently wait for me to finish expressing more complete thoughts.
That may be part of why I feel so passionate about trying to bring some of the magic of computer mediated communications to others.
Since that time, I've had a few different computer systems. Mostly windows based systems. I work with windows based systems. It is kind of interesting to aim ever higher in the little part of the healthcare system that is the VA hospital. It is neat to have aspirations and dreams of how things could be a bit better if I had a position of greater influence, but perhaps my current position is enough. It would be nice if I could help guide an increased use of computer mediated communications systems, but things are good enough right now.
I enjoyed the reading of interactions between others, in addition to the opportunity to express my own ideas.
Be the first person to like this.