Viewing Single Post
marty salo
Yes, Donna, I did get my Mater's Degree through some interaction with my State department of Vocational Rehabilitation. I think it's a win-win, because they (VR counselors) want to help place disabled individuals into jobs which they can do (as I understand things). For me, I guess education was a relatively easy path. I enjoyed attending classes. I started wanting to major in English with an emphasis in writing, I wanted to be a syndicated columnist, I think it would be awesome, but that didn't really happen, I changed majors after coming to the realization that I'd need to read James Joyce, and other big classic works. My reading speed was slow. I changed my major to religious studies, but I made clear to the VR counselor that I really wanted to get my Master's Degree in Library Sciences. My VR counselor said that it was out of the ordinary, but she would try to secure funding for tuition and books through my Master's Degree.
I started as a librarian at a VA Hospital right out of University. It was a temporary position, but I was offered a full time permanent job working with computers because I was helping the library move forward with some technology initiatives, and I brought enthusiasm for the internet and computer mediated communications along with me. The federal Government has been a good employer.
Be the first person to like this.