I need some help or advise please. My sister has a severe traumatic brain injury. She was in a near fatal car accident in 2003. Just recently she has been acting out of control. She is showing no respect to me or my mother. Calling us filthy names, screaming, etc. We will be having a normal conversation with her and if she hears something she doesn't like or something doesn't go her way she snaps into a fit of rage. Last night we had another "episode" and this time she became violent and physically hit me. I don't know what to do anymore and I don't know how to help her. You can't talk about it after the "episode" happens or it refuels the fire and we start all over again. We usually ignore the outburst when it happens or casually change the subject to get her mind off of what has made her upset but it is no longer working and I am at a loss. If anyone has any advise or help or knows a group or doctor in cincinnati ohio that would be great. Thank you for listening to me.
Michael Black
Hello Tara, I read your question asking for help for your sister. I had episodes of rage a few times! I went to a councilor and talked about what was bothering me, and took antidepressants, that helped. I would see a councilor and ask about Antidepressants for your sister. (Mike Black-Founder)
I've never had rage incidents personally and like the gentleman before me said when I have acted like a asshole to people I immediately regret it and apologize to people. As Mike said I was actually put on anti depressants before I ever had any outbursts just because I felt so different emotionally after my TBI, I needed somethings to balance me out. My pyschriatist immediately put me on a mood stabilizer and when I continued to have emotional issues after that he put me on a normal anti depressant. I still have a habit of reacting to people and what they say before thinking logically. I can say that over the course of almost 4 years I've learned to control myself alot better but occasionally I do get upset more then id like. Sadly that's just a part of having frontal lobe damage from what I understand. I've never went off on anyone though, I've never felt the need to rage on someone. Honestly if she has had these issues from day one of her TBI I'm very suprised that know doctor has told you or her she needs pyschriatric medications. Typically, when a neuro doctor knows the extent of your brain injury they immediately warn you of the risks of aggression and outbursts your describing. Frontal lobe damage from my reading typically always causes the survivor to have emotional issues of some extent. As the gentleman before me said, going to the gym works for him as a outlet. For others like myself and Mike we rely on medications. Every TBI is different, every survivor had their own personality before the TBI. At the point that she will not even listen and hear how she is acting I believe she will need a combination of several different treatments to help her with this, and even then it won't go away instantly. She needs a pyschriatirist, a therapist, and potentially maybe multiple medications. She could have any number of issues but I guarantee you it's not her diet. It's her TBI. The fact that she is unable to recognize this behavior is wrong is not a good sign.
1 person likes this.
Hi, Tara...I know this thread is old AND this is the reason why I joined this group. I'm curious how things have panned out. I am currently in the same situation with my sister in law and she has gotten physical with me two times in the last week. Thanks in advance for sharing what you ended up doing, how your sisters is doing now and any advice you might send my way.
1 person likes this.
Hi I have been reading these posts. I’m in the same situation with my brother. He has yet to get physically violent but will become extremely irate, use filthy language, scream until he’s can barely speak. He has one by one verbally attacked my 17 year old daughter, my 13 year old daughter, my 18 year old niece, myself and my mother. He was on antipsychotic meds, antidepressant meds, but he now refuses to take them and has become an alcoholic on top of it. My family is at a loss of what to do for him. We are afraid he’s going to eventually hurt himself or someone else.
1 person likes this.
Hello, Tara I am aware that this thread is old, but it is also the reason that I joined this community. I'm interested to see how things turned out. She has touched me physically twice in the past week while we are still in the same predicament with my sister-in-law. Please let me know what you ended up doing, how your sister is doing these days, and any advise you could have for me.
1 person likes this.
Salut, Tara Although I am aware that this thread is old, it served as my inspiration for joining this community. I want to know how everything worked out. We are still in the same situation with my sister-in-law, and she has touched me physically twice in the last week. Tell me what you did, how your sister is doing now, and any advice you could have for me.
1 person likes this.
Kristi Bains
We have struggled in this area. What helped the most, is learning how to treat someone with dementia. It’s not EXACTLY the same, but enough that it turned our situation totally around. It was getting so difficult to communicate that I found myself as frustrated as my brain injured son. I can do better, he couldn’t….until I did.
search online, I found them on YouTube
Teepa Snow
Careblazers
Be the first person to like this.
Kristi Bains
I would bet this is the primary reason many folks with brain injuries end up in our prisons.
Kristi Bains
One last thing… meds, particularly Gabapentin, in my sons case, was too much for his system, causing way more anger/frustration and when some vitamins like b12 were taken, or, coffee, etc., it sent him into crisis that looked like PTSD, but was physical.
He wouldn’t agree with me, but they don’t prescribe to older population, especially women or those with kidney problems for that very reason.