TBI - Traumatic Brain Injury Resources
Topics: Research
Be the first person to like this.
marty salo
news.google.com is a pretty informative source. I have an alert configured where news items that contain "Traumatic Brain Injury" get sent to my email, so I guess I see some of the cool news stories in mainstream media. I might've missed the brainline citation of "the prevalence and efficacy of facebook as a means of social media use among TBI populations," but I had another colleague who knows about my interest key me about that particular citation. I like Google Plus better as a place to exchange information, as it is not as insular as perhaps facebook might seem.

I've read some reports of employers wanting to get access to prospective employees facebook accounts for some investigations, or whatever. I don't know that it goes on very much in small businesses, or large businesses, but I'd think that it probably does not go on in governmental agencies. Maybe I am wrong, but I'd think that many governmental agencies want to hire capable talent.
Michael Black
I've had a TBI. since May 21,2011 but I'm getting through this alot better than I though I would! I thank god for not taking me. Everyone that cared about me is glad I'm still here!
Bernadette Coleman
Mike Black said...

I've had a TBI. since May 21,2011 but I'm getting through this alot better than I though I would! I thank god for not taking me. Everyone that cared about me is glad I'm still here!

You are doing great! We lo e you.
1 person likes this.
marty salo
1981, car / bicycle collision. Coma 53 days. I want people to recover. I think we can introduce more injured people to computer mediated communications technologies, and I think the outcomes will generally be positive from providing additional ways to interact with and be part of this connected world. I was 11 years old. Recovery was a longer process. I was airlifted to Norfolk General. I think I had the distinction of being one of the first airlift medical transport patients.
1 person likes this.
marty salo
One of the big elements to recovery is to continue showing up at events, and interacting with others, you won't get back to where you were, but you can go further. It requires taking a different path. Some of the previous roads may be closed for now.
marty salo
+Arlen Meyers, MD +Bernadette Coleman -- Hello, I am a traumatic brain injury survivor (30 + years ago). I realize that computer mediated communications have progressed a lot. It would be neat if there could be a more systematic, organized effort to provide some training to some patients who could benefit from such interaction, at least to my way of thinking.
I achieved a Master's degree in library and information sciences.
I recognize that recovery from/adaptation to TBI is a long process. There are many things which need to happen first, but I still think it would be neat if there were more computer skills training with an emphasis on computer mediated communication which could be folded into some life skills training.
marty salo
Yes, Donna, I did get my Mater's Degree through some interaction with my State department of Vocational Rehabilitation. I think it's a win-win, because they (VR counselors) want to help place disabled individuals into jobs which they can do (as I understand things). For me, I guess education was a relatively easy path. I enjoyed attending classes. I started wanting to major in English with an emphasis in writing, I wanted to be a syndicated columnist, I think it would be awesome, but that didn't really happen, I changed majors after coming to the realization that I'd need to read James Joyce, and other big classic works. My reading speed was slow. I changed my major to religious studies, but I made clear to the VR counselor that I really wanted to get my Master's Degree in Library Sciences. My VR counselor said that it was out of the ordinary, but she would try to secure funding for tuition and books through my Master's Degree.
I started as a librarian at a VA Hospital right out of University. It was a temporary position, but I was offered a full time permanent job working with computers because I was helping the library move forward with some technology initiatives, and I brought enthusiasm for the internet and computer mediated communications along with me. The federal Government has been a good employer.
marty salo

Do you mind if I ask what happened to you?

I don't mind at all. A bike car collision near Norfolk Virginia. One of the first "Medivac" Helicopter transports to Norfolk General. I suppose that according to my parents, the Neurosurgeon stated that I'd be lucky to make it beyond a persistent vegetative state. That they might want to consider placing me into a "home." I was transferred out of Norfolk General to King's Daughter's Children's Rehab Hospital, then back home on Ocean View Avenue. I had a supportive catholic school infrastructure for a few years, and then moved back to Florida, then progressed through "standard" mainstream classes and such. I graduated High School with age group based peers, attended 2 year Community College, attended Florida State University.
Back in the early '80s, I got my first real computer, an apple IIc, with a 300 baud Modem, I was in love with the freedom that being able to communicate via asychronous methods represented--a chance to express ideas more fully through written english without people developing the glazed over look in their eyes, as they impatiently wait for me to finish expressing more complete thoughts.
That may be part of why I feel so passionate about trying to bring some of the magic of computer mediated communications to others.
Since that time, I've had a few different computer systems. Mostly windows based systems. I work with windows based systems. It is kind of interesting to aim ever higher in the little part of the healthcare system that is the VA hospital. It is neat to have aspirations and dreams of how things could be a bit better if I had a position of greater influence, but perhaps my current position is enough. It would be nice if I could help guide an increased use of computer mediated communications systems, but things are good enough right now.
I enjoyed the reading of interactions between others, in addition to the opportunity to express my own ideas.
marty salo

Sounds quite interesting. Do you still live in Virginia? 

No, I live in Tampa, Florida. I'm happily married. My wife drives, I don't. We've been on a few vacations. A few road trip types of vacations. We've stayed a few nights in/near some of the places of childhood Virginia Beach. We didn't get to visit children (nurses) at King's Daughters Children's Rehab Hospital. But we've done enough. We flew up to DC to stay near the mall for a week, and I think it was pretty fun, though the flight and hotel expense was a bit much, but I guess we don't have a lot of other bigger expenses.
We like cruising as a vacation option. Expenses can be contained pretty well, as long as one tends to be conscious about expenses.
marty salo

Donna, to make things a little bit easier to follow, it's generally better if you include the quoted text in between the bracketed quote and end quote. place your comments, after the slashquote. But hey, I can follow anyway. A friend of the family has a place in Hudson. There are several trailer parks down in Tampa. Multiple Sclerosis is sad when it gets closer to the end. I'm aware of a few people with MS. People do die. But I think helping them to feel involved is important while we are here.

I'm not involved too much with OT, but I did forward a small article on various styluses to a few of the therapists at the hospital. Also, I may have done a bit to help spur the incorporation of some computers for some patients to use. Maybe I've been an advocate for and example of what is possible. It's kind of sad that I am held up as an example, but I'm happy that I've made it as far as I have, and done as well.

I'd like to think that there's nothing particularly special about me, I just keep putting one foot in front of another.
1 person likes this.
Bernadette Coleman
Thanks Marty. Would you froward the article to me too? info@trymunity.com

marty salo said...

Donna, to make things a little bit easier to follow, it's generally better if you include the quoted text in between the bracketed quote and end quote. place your comments, after the slashquote. But hey, I can follow anyway. A friend of the family has a place in Hudson. There are several trailer parks down in Tampa. Multiple Sclerosis is sad when it gets closer to the end. I'm aware of a few people with MS. People do die. But I think helping them to feel involved is important while we are here.

I'm not involved too much with OT, but I did forward a small article on various styluses to a few of the therapists at the hospital. Also, I may have done a bit to help spur the incorporation of some computers for some patients to use. Maybe I've been an advocate for and example of what is possible. It's kind of sad that I am held up as an example, but I'm happy that I've made it as far as I have, and done as well.

I'd like to think that there's nothing particularly special about me, I just keep putting one foot in front of another.
1 person likes this.
marty salo

Thanks Marty. Would you froward the article to me too? info@trymunity.com

http://www.macworld.com/article/1156560/touchscreen_stylus_roundup.html

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2802966?start=0&tstart=0

https://www.google.com/search?aq=2&oq=styluses&sugexp=chrome,mod=14&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=styluses+for+ipad+2

or just take a look at what your favorite search engine has to say about styluses. I'm sure best buy, or amazon, or ebay also has some stuff, as well as some you tube videos.
Kelly Grant
It's gonna be a productive day! All day to puzzles and games-"retraining".
1 person likes this.
Michael Black
Well I have a TBI. I'm going to rehab. Their saying im doing really good! But it's a hard struggle to get through!